Cooler temperatures — and maybe some showers — headed to SoCal this weekend. The sun will rise at 6:20 a.m. on Saturday, but clouds will linger until 1:20 p.m. on Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.
But the sun will eventually light up the morning — at least in more places than the sky.
Here’s another look at what we’ve been up to.
Thursday, Jan. 28
• The second annual Great Southern Conch Walk, a 10-mile route along the beach to the Conch Republic, began this Saturday. Here’s how things are going. (For the whole story, go to conchwalk.org.)
The event is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 30. That’s the same date that a big storm is moving across the Southwest.
The event is in connection with Conch Fest at Long Beach State.
For more information, go to gofundme.com/conch-conch-walk.
• The annual SoCal Marathon starts today. There are five courses and all are expected to finish at the same time:
The marathon starts at 8 a.m. from the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in San Diego, running up to 10 miles.
And here’s what the forecast says might happen. The race starts at 5 a.m.
• The annual Cal Poly marathon is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. at the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo campus.
There are 10 courses and all of them are considered either a “local” or “longest,” meaning they require a minimum of 10 miles to be completed.
• The City of Long Beach has a “Walk with a Long Beach Santa” scheduled that will start today at 8:30 a.m. It’s on the beach at the intersection of Ocean Front Walk.
The nonprofit group, Calvary, will lead the 5.2-mile walk, which is the official distance for this year’s event.
A lot of organizations, including the Long Beach Police Department, help organize the event.
• Santa, his wife, Rosa, the elves, and the reindeer are all participating in the annual SoCal Santa Run, which runs from Los Angeles to San Diego.