U.S. soccer president tells CNN more misconduct cases reported, one pending
An U.S. Soccer president on Monday told CNN more instances of misconduct are coming to his attention, although he wouldn’t say more details had been made public.
“They are coming to us with what we consider to be credible,” U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati said of investigations of player misconduct.
“At this point,” he said, “we are not going to discuss the specific details of our investigations, but we are looking into these and we are making sure that appropriate action is taken.”
The latest incident is when New York-born forward Tyler Adams was issued a one-match suspension by U.S. Soccer following a hearing this month. Adams, 23, had played in U.S. national team camps this month with the U.S., though had yet to start a game for the senior squad.
Adams and the U.S. have had the highest number of reported cases of misconduct within U.S. Soccer, according to the federation. The latest is a case involving a player who was the subject of a report by the federation last month.
The federation said it is the latest in a series of cases and doesn’t know what information Gulati has on misconduct cases.
“We are doing what we can to investigate those,” Gulati said in an interview with CNN. “Again, we don’t know what information he has, but we’re looking into those and we’ll continue to do the best we can.”
Gulati said players can be disciplined by the federation for misconduct, but they can’t be penalized automatically. He said it’s up to the federation to decide what action will be taken against a player.
A player’s coach is supposed to be the next in line to discipline a player, but coaches are often reluctant to discipline players, fearing a loss of player status that could affect their income. Gulati said that�